TOP4 Leaders in Europe for their Innovation performance
This post is based on an European memo provided on March 26, 2013 about Innovation Union Scoreboard. It provides an overview of the research and innovation performance of EU Member States and associated and neighbouring countries, as measured by the Innovation Union Scoreboard 2013. No surprise, the four leader in Europe are: Sweden, Germany, Denmark and Finland.
What are the main indicators used for the Innovation Union Scoreboard?
The Innovation Union Scoreboard captures a total of 24 different indicators with three main categories:
- Enablers: human resources, open, excellent and attractive research systems, and finance and support.
- Firm activities: firm investments, linkages and entrepreneurship, and intellectual assets.
- Outputs: innovators and economic effects.
Who are the innovation leaders in the European Union?
- Innovation leaders: Sweden, Germany, Denmark and Finland, all show a performance well above that of the EU average.
- Innovation followers: Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, the UK, Austria, Ireland, France, Slovenia, Cyprus and Estonia all show a performance close to that of the EU average.
- Moderate innovators: The performance of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Greece, Slovakia, Hungary, Malta and Lithuania is below that of the EU average.
- Modest innovators: The performance of Poland, Latvia, Romania and Bulgaria is well below that of the EU average.
Is the innovation performance of Member States converging?
No global convergence about Innovation in Europe. Two main groups: over 0.550 and below 0.550. A certain convergence for 11 countries : Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Belgium, Ireland, Austria and last & least France.
How does the EU fare in comparison to its international partners?
3 leaders better than Europe with South Korea, United States and Japan as the three main leaders in Innovation.
See the complete European memo
- Ireland is No 1 in Europe for enjoying economic effects of innovation (siliconrepublic.com)
- Sweden again dominates EU innovation ranking (thelocal.se)
- Bulgaria again bottom of EU’s innovation scoreboard (sofiaglobe.com)
- EU Bloc Trails South Korea, US in Innovation (hispanicbusiness.com)